Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pastor Shirts and Affectionate Girlfriends

I have yet to understand what path I wondered down to find working as a Parish Educator and dating an Intern Pastor. God never ceases to amaze me, keep me on my toes, and humor me.

Wednesday night Erik picked me up and we went to the grocery store to prepare for dinner. Erik had bought an Asian cookbook and since I’m so picky when it comes to Asian food, I was to pick out a recipe I would like for us to cook together. Erik had picked me up after he had gotten off work at the church, so he was still wearing what I call his “pastor shirt.” When he’s wearing his shirt I like to refer to him as “Pastor Erik” even if he is not an ordained pastor (priesthood of all believers!).

As we walked up and down the aisles at Copps I wondered if I should act different since he was wearing his special shirt. I’m pretty touchy feeling and we’re one of those sad little couples that are always calling each other “honey” and “baby.” (This started as a joke and kind of stuck).

This morning I went to both my church and Erik’s church. Erik was getting commissioned and I wanted to watch him “in-action.” Even though I had asked him several times what time the service was, he didn’t notice me. I had snuck through the other door and avoided him. I was afraid he might get nervous if I was there. The service was nice. The quilters gave him a beautiful quilt and afterwards I got to talk to Erik and Pastor Earl. I think next week I’ll go when he gives the sermon. Calvary has a contemporary service on Saturdays and I could use a little upbeat worship.

After that service I went to Grace to worship. I have yet to figure out if I should be introducing myself to people or exactly how to go about doing things. I’m shy to begin with. I’m glad I like the worship service at Grace. I thought I’d feel like a stranger and lost during worship, but for some reason I strangely feel at home. Even though I have yet to meet many people or make friends, I feel like I was called to the right spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment