Saturday, August 22, 2009

Farve Flops and ELCA Okays Gays

I'm mad a Brett Farve. I'm mad because his two minute playing debut for the Minnesota Vikings overshadowed any real news in the world.

What is real news it the ELCA's vote to recognize gay marriage, homosexual relationships, and allow those in committed homosexual relationships to be ordained clergy and rostered lay leaders.

Yippee!

Of course, it's all more complicated then that. Individual congregations have the decision whether or not they will call homosexuals. It is also rumoured many people are going to leave the ELCA for something more conservative. This is sad. Being new at my church, I do not know where my church stands. I'm excited to go to work on Monday to find out.

The "word alone" conservative thing angers me. It angers me that homosexuals are accused of being sinners for something they were born with. Sexuality is part of who we are and something God created us to have. It's not a sin. It's mentioned in all but 5 Bible verses and likely these verses were trying to keep new Christians from worshipping Greek Gods and joining cults, or are used in the Old Testament as part of a holy code.

But is you still want to believe it's a sin and sinful people can't be leaders of the church. Well then after you take the plank out of your own eye, I ask if you can name anyone in the Bible (besides Jesus) that was sinless. I applaud you if you can, because I currently can not, (and if they were sinless, they were in a shitty situation when God called them.) God uses us (and we tend to be sinful) to spread the gospel. God calls those who are not perfect. Thinks about it. Noah got drunk, Moses couldn't speak in public, Jonah ran away from God, Rahab was a prostitute, Ruth uncovered Boaz' "feet", David was an adulterer, Paul prosecuted Christians, and Peter (the Rock upon which the church was built) denied Christ THREE TIMES!

During the assembly a tornado hit the convention center. There have been comments about this being the wrath or warning of God. I'm sorry, but I find that to be silly. I think if God didn't want this to happen, it wouldn't have passed. Many people prayed that the church would make the right decision and I believe the vote answered their prayers.

I think God would be happy to have more people do His work and serve him, regardless of sexual orientation.

No comments:

Post a Comment