Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How to Spell Loneliness

On Tuesdays I volunteer at Woodside Lutheran Home. I decided to do this for many reasons. To build my resume. Because I kept hearing stories about lonely old people. Because I am lonely. To learn more about ministry. And because Jesus told us to take care of the widow.

Volunteering is really easy. You just go to the rooms, ask the resident if they want to come to the activity, and then wheel them down to the activity room. Actually, it's kind been boring so far. Today was better. We had a cooking class so I actually had more to do then wheel people around. I got to help them cook and there was time to talk. The residents are also starting to recognize me. Next week I get to play games with the residents. I'm excited for that. Part of the reason I volunteered was so someone would play scrabble with me.

I'm currently playing scrabble with my mom on facebook. However, she is trying to cook dinner at the same time, so it's a slow game.

No comments:

Post a Comment