Sunday, December 20, 2009

Shhsh! I'm Trying to Listen.

I have a question, and maybe you have this question, too. When did it become okay to constantly talk in church? I'm not talking about the occasional comment or question. I'm guilty of learning over during a sermon and asking Erik where he'd like to go for lunch. I've made a comment or joke during church. I've told Anita her hot chocolate smells delicious. But I have not had a full conversation about whose driving where, are we staying for dinner, and where are the car keys during the sermon.

Last night was the Christmas program and these Grandparents were talking while the Genesis choir was singing. They were sitting right next to me, the one directing the Christmas Program, and talking about the rest of the evening. I thought it was so rude. The Genesis Choir is a special choir in which the kids join and practice once a week. They do more difficult music. I really wanted to say, "Do you mind, I'm trying to listen to the Genesis Choir."

I'm not just talking about last night, but it happens all the time, not just in my church but also in Erik's. I've heard people having conversations during the sermon. I've seen more then once a parent talking to a kid who is at least in 4th or 5th grade during the prayers of the day. I've seen parents keep their screaming kid in the sanctuary during the whole sermon.

I'm also annoyed with parents that let their kids sit during the prayers and gospel reading. I don't think a four year old is to young to say to "this is the part where we stand sweetie." Kids get it. Let them stand and color, but teach them and instruct them. If your kids start talking to you, say to them "Not now, we are praying." Why is this so hard????

And really, what can I do? I feel like I can't turn around and glare at people in my own church, they hired me. I suppose I will just have to get all my frustrations out over at Erik's church. Next time you start talking to your 5th Grade son about Packers Offensive line during Erik's sermon, beware!

No comments:

Post a Comment