Sunday, November 29, 2009

Holidays

Sunday afternoons are made for naps. My routine after church is to watch the Packers and eat pizza, and then fall asleep in the chair or stretch out on the couch. The Packers played Thursday, so I spent the afternoon in bed napping. I was so tired after the last few days. Family and holidays are exhausting.

Erik and I drove to Kenosha on Wednesday afternoon. We spent Thanksgiving Day with his aunt and cousins, then got in the car and drove down to Illinois to spend time with my family. We had around 40 people show up to my parents. And we had too much food. I think I made the best mash potatoes ever, although nobody said so. I feel like my time got cut short with my family. I didn't get a chance to play games or really talk to everyone, and poor Erik was so overwhelmed with people (He hasn't had a day to himself for at least two weeks).

Needless to say, it was good to see my family and my friends. It amazes me that after ten years I'm still friends with people from high school, and not because I still live in the area, but because those people are important to me and I make the effort to keep them in my life.

I feel a bit guilty because I don't see my family that often and I am the one that moved away. I try to keep in mind that my life might be intended for something that goes beyond my own thinking. I get very frustrated with the amount of people I know that in just the last year have gotten engaged or popped out a child. There's always that feeling that maybe I did something wrong on my journey and the lectures from family about "when are you going to settle down" get very old. It's not that settling down and having a family aren't important to me, it just hasn't happened.

Other things have happened. And while I don't think everything little thing we do is part of God's great grand plan, I do believe that maybe my singleness is about something a little bit bigger then 2.5 children and a two car garage (Don't get me started on how I hate that Americans have bigger garages then most people have houses).

The holidays are upon us, and I have many things to do in the coming weeks. I'm just going to have to remind myself of what is truly important over the next couple weeks. Yep, it's time to remember that being human isn't so bad. That we all came from the same Creator and were made in Their image. That God became human. That He came down to help us out and save us from ourselves. And someday, He's going to come back...or maybe She.

No comments:

Post a Comment