Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye

I just finished reading The Catcher in the Rye. After J.D. Salinger died, I felt this sudden need to reread it. I think it's been ten years since I've picked up the book.

The thing is, it took me forever to read it this time. It just fell flat for me. I remember it being this amazing book, but this time I couldn't relate to Holden at all. I thought he needed to grow-up and get his shit together. All he did was hate everyone, including himself. It was just painful to read page after page of him suffering inside himself. And that got me thinking, why was it ten years ago this book was so great to me, and now Holden is so annoying. What has changed? Have I changed? Have I grown up? Did I lose some kind of innocence that allows me to identify with Holden? Did I completely miss the point of this book?

I suppose I'm not in high school anymore, but what does that mean in itself? Who am I and where am I going? I suppose I am like Holden in that I need to have some direction. Am I really happy where I am? Why has it taken so long for me to achieve the things I've wanted to achieve and what really is the definition of success?

Perhaps the purpose of such a book is to make one think about their own life and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment