Saturday, March 6, 2010

14 Miles and Running

Today was the big day. My first 14 mile run. I've done 13.1 three times, but never 14. When I was training for 5Ks that might have been what I ran in a week. The alarm went off at 6a.m. and I made my traditional race day breakfast, oatmeal. I realize this is not a race, but I feel 100 times more confident if I eat oatmeal for breakfast.

God gave us runners a gorgeous day. It's 40 something now, but this morning it was sunny and mid-30s. This brought out a bigger crowd...which is just what this 11 minute miler needs. Slow people behind her:)

The Preva Training team sets up water stations every 3 miles. This is awesome. I don't have to worry about staying hydrated, and I can mentally break the route into 3 mile sections. Plus I get to meet other runners and volunteers. The conversation is something like "thank you" for being out here and giving me water, to "we're almost there." It seemed like today there were a lot of people who were getting over colds or had leg cramps. I joyfully ran past them, even though I know that they are more serious runners that are faster than me and just having a bad day.

I wasn't even done with my first mile when the IPOD completely froze up on me. I was joyously singing "Damn is Feels Good to be a Gangster" when it just stopped. I thought I had bumped it, but no. God had other plans for me today. There were enough people out, hills to run up, and streets I've never been down to keep me distracted. I sort of ran the first 6 with this older bald guy, and that kept me going for a while. We talked about snot. If you are a runner, you understand.

I'll tell you the best part was when I got to the last water stop and had only 2.0-1.5 miles left. When I saw that last water stop, I knew I was going to finish. That even know I hadn't walked through the door to the Bay Park Mall Food Court, I was already there jumping up and down with joy. There would be no wall hitting on this run.

I finished in 2:37:01. This is something like an 11:13 mile, which I accept. That includes traffic lights and hanging out at water stops. I know race day will be faster. I also used the Gu stuff for the first time. When I did get to the Mall I had a huge smile on my face and just wanted to scream aloud "I did it! I did it!" I think people would have looked at me funny, plus I didn't want to draw attention to my smell.

After running those 14.0 miles, I really feel like I can do anything...including get out of debt.

On another note, Erik and I ended our relationship. Well ended/break. It just wasn't working. Neither one of us were happy with it, and we were just making each other feel bad. It has nothing to do with not wanting to be with each other or how we feel about each other. We've just been having the same conversation for over a month with no solution. I think we both have things to work on in our personal lives. I for one need to stop caring about this status quo stuff and the pressure I feel on me to get married. Anyway, hopefully some space will enable us to work it out, instead of constantly pushing each other's buttons. We still plan on spending time together, so we'll see.

Last night we went to the Hockey game with Grant, Kate, and Matt. The Gamblers are in first place in the East and they played Omaha, who is in first place in the West. The game went into Overtime, and then a shoot-out. None of us had ever seen a shoot-out. There was also a fight, but the refs were being jerks and not letting them really go at it. Erik and I almost won Chuck-a-puck. Our puck was the closest one to the red dot, when another puck, in what resembled a play in curling, took ours out. The Gamblers ended up losing the shoot-out. I really want to go again tonight. But I have no money, and no one besides Erik to ask to go, and there's that whole giving him space thing. I think tonight I am going to start planting some seeds and stuff. I know it may be too early, but I'm anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment