Saturday, May 29, 2010

Animal Friendly

I'm a bit obsessed with looking at what other people are buying when I go to the grocery store. I'll admit, I'm a bit judgemental. Sometimes I just want to yell out to the obese woman that all those diet meals and diet pop are not going to help you lose weight, but instead, try eating some carrots. So early Wednesday morning I noticed a chubby little girl with her mother in front of me waiting to check out. It looked like they were buying her school lunch, because all they had was a lunchable. She was looking at the cover of TIME magazine. On the cover was a picture of the oil spill.

This made me incredibly sad. What had we done to this girl? What have we done to her future? Here we are polluting both her world and her body.

All this has promoted me to become a vegetarian, except in matter of hospitality (Read Acts 10). Although, I won't be a strict vegetarian, if I want to buy meat it's going to have to be organic and hopefully local. I'm remembering the line from Food Inc, where he says that every time we go to the store and purchase something, it's like voting, so even though I have such a tight budget, I'm trying to buy one organic thing each time I go.

It's the small things that matter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment