Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jesus Loves Hockey

Every morning I like to listen to the radio as I take my shower and get ready. I try to listen to the “pop” station to know what’s going on in music. It’s a work thing. What amazes me is that the DJs are older than me, yet still work for this station. I know they are older because the one DJ is always singing the oldies I listened to as a kid. But this post is not about old DJs.

One thing I love about radio is random facts. In the afternoon they always do the “this percentage of people blah, blah, blah…” Well, the other day the fact was something like this: “Couples who do this are happier than couples who don’t do this.”

And no, it’s not sex.

My thought was couples that cook and sit down for a meal.

This is also not true either.

The answer ended up being couples that go to sporting events.

Sporting events? Is this a joke? Does this mean that if you keep the man happy you are more likely to have a happy relationship?

Doubtful. I actually think it goes back to creation.

Tonight with my friend and I went to the Clark Cup USHL Championship game here in Green Bay. It was game 5 and we ended up getting cheap seats because the game ended up selling out. But still, it didn’t matter because we had a blast.

There is something about sporting events, and that something is…wait for it…COMMUNITY!

Sure, it’s not your Sunday worship or youth group getting together to serve at the local shelter. But it is complete strangers gathered for one soul purpose, to cheer on their local team. To share in the defeat and victory (and maybe watch a fight or two). There is just something about how the crowd claps together, how we do the YMCA together, how the music makes us want to jump! jump! It’s like a wedding almost. For one night we come together to celebrate our hope in this one team.

Tonight when the jumbo-tron called for more cowbell, I felt united with my fellow fans. I was part of something that was bigger than myself.

And this is what Christ has called us to do. Not go to hockey games, silly. Well, not exactly. But we are called to live in a community. We were created to live in harmony with each other and all the "critters." My favorite verse sums it all up, "it was not good for the man to be alone." We are called to be sisters and brothers. We are called to be the body of Christ and live as one.

And it’s time we get a little bit more confident in taking this idea outside the rink.

No comments:

Post a Comment